Friday, September 4, 2015

Indian language[Tamil] in LaTEX

Even though I knew about LaTex (not the rubber, people)  I didn't even try to learn about it until i wanted to write my project report in Latex (The university wanted the project to be written using MS word) anyway I completed my report in Latex afterwards I thought if I can write Indian languages especially Tamil and Hindi using Latex, so I searched Google (every student's best friend and also for the anti-vaxxers) there were bits and pieces for it one solution recommended using itrans and after searching various forums I came at the following code for indian languages

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\newfontfamily\tamilfont{Lohit Tamil}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainlanguage{tamil}
\begin{document}
 வணக்கம்
\end{document}

and compile using XeLatex or LuaLatex and after compiling successfully you will have a pdf file.Of all the Tamil fonts I found Lohit Tamil font worked best other than that TAM family of tamil fonts gives good rendering but not like Lohit Tamil. I believe there is  an another code which does not use the polyglossia package for compiling indian languages if any of you had another code please put it in comments.

P.S: 1. It didn't compile for Hindi
       2. My Project guide said  Latex Times new roman font didn't look like the Times New roman font at all. I mean how do they find it, now that's a million dollar question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts